The long-time lifeguard at the public pool in Summerland has been arrested and charged with multiple sex offences involving children.
Penticton RCMP arrested Edward Casavant, 54, on outstanding warrant on Wednesday.
The Penticton resident has been charged with 10 counts relating to incidents that allegedly occurred between 2008 and 2014, including:
• 2 counts of making or publishing child pornography;
• 1 count of importing or distributing child pornography;
• 1 count of possession of child pornography;
• 1 count of accessing child pornography;
• 1 count of secretly observe/record nudity in private place;
• 1 count of sexual exploitation of a person with a disability;
• 1 count of sexual assault;
• 1 count of sexual interference of person under 16;
• 1 count of Invitation to sexual touching under 16.
The RCMP say Casavant, also known as Eddie Spaghetti, was employed as a lifeguard at the Summerland Aquatic & Fitness Centre for more than 30 years, beginning in the late 1980s.
Police, who began investigating Casavant last November after receiving a tip from the public, believe he used his position to gain access to school-aged children.
Casavant also volunteered as a lifeguard at various local summer camps and other community events.
“While we have identified at least two victims, we strongly believe there are additional victims who may not have already reported, or may not be aware they are a victim,” said RCMP spokesman Cpl. Chris Manseau.
Manseau is asking other potential victims to contact the Penticton RCMP tip line at 250-276-2177.