Another 18 people have been diagnosed with COVID-19 in B.C. and three more people have died.
There have now been a total of 155 deaths and 2,507 cases of coronavirus in B.C., according to the latest numbers from the province released Friday afternoon.
Of that number, 310 cases are still active and 2,042 people have recovered.
The three people who died are all in the Fraser Health Region. A total 41 people are currently in hospital, eight of them in intensive care.
The outbreak that started in mid-March at the Lions Gate Hospital in North Vancouver is now over.
There are no new outbreaks in health-care centres, but outbreaks continue at 14 long-term care or assisted living facilities, and two acute-care units have active outbreaks as well.
Every health region in B.C. has had patients with COVID-19, according to the joint statement from Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix.
Public health teams are continuing to provide support as community outbreaks continue at the two federal prisons, the Mountain Institution in Agassiz and the Mission Institution, the statement said.
Support is also being provided as outbreaks continue at the Oppenheimer Group fruit and vegetable processing plant in Coquitlam, poultry facilities and with cases connected to the Kearl Lake oilsands site in Alberta.
The total number of confirmed cases released on Friday includes 10 people who were infected in Alberta in connection with the outbreak at the Kearl Lake oilsands project and self-isolated there before returning home to B.C. Those cases had not previously been included in B.C.’s numbers.
This week, B.C. entered the second phase of its restart plan, with businesses like hair salons, restaurants and libraries allowed to reopen or expand their services.
This phase is about finding a “new balance” between protecting health and reopening and resuming businesses and activities, Friday’s statement said.
Drive-ins limited to 50 vehicles
The province is limiting gatherings of vehicles ahead of the weekend.
Gatherings remain restricted to 50 people, but this order has now been extended to limit gatherings of vehicles to 50 for outdoor drive-in events, with restrictions on the sale of refreshments.
Anyone attending a drive-in event must stay in their cars, unless they need to use the washroom, which must have running water for handwashing.
“This week, we have seen British Columbians throughout the province using the WorkSafeBC public health guidelines and the rules for safe social interactions to increase their activities while protecting employees, customers, friends and family,” the statement from Henry and Dix said.
“This approach — moving slowly, with patience and care — is our way forward. We have made great strides to flatten our curve, and we must continue with our efforts. Let’s keep going, together.”